Alinta's Cyberpoetry blog

Saturday, August 12, 2006

13th August

Today I looked up text generators on the internet but didn’t find anything very good in google. In fact the closest thing I could find to a text generator for something that generated what they called ‘bad gothic poetry’. http://www.jbrowse.com/text/generator.shtml
Which does something along the lines of taking random lines from gothic literature and sticking them together in either an epic or a sonnet etc. However on the site they continually refer to it as ‘Goth poetry’ and even mention, very briefly, the subculture of ‘Goths’, which leads me to believe that these people are not really concerned at all with what I am calling ‘gothic literature’. On the site it claimed that this was the project from whence this generator came about,

“This goth poetry generator is part of a larger project to do with steganography. At one point, it was necessary to generate a lot of 'noise' data within which to hide encrypted 'signal' data. The grammar-based generator used here was created to produce a large amount of junk data which cannot easily be distinguished from real text without human intervention.”

I don’t even know what steganography is. Neither does Microsoft Word, but neither Word nor myself are very good at spelling it seems.

Today I also looked up the creative writing exercises on learning @ Griffith, while I was actually trying to find those text generators there that we had looked at in class. Not realizing that they were under the surreal section, I went looking in other sections first, such as the image section. I have to say that I’ve never used things like exercised or techniques to create a poem, and the haiku that I created was just atrocious because I wanted to move on to the next section. So basically, over all this is a very new way of looking at writing for me. I don’t like to think that I am merely a text generator.

I had a technical problem with the surrealist exercises, once I found them. As I could not view any of the text in the ‘exquisite corpse’ piece (such as the text telling me what it was etc), Nor could I view the examples of it. But I could view all the fish fine! I also couldn’t view the examples in other section such as the ‘known into the unknown’. At this point, I have to admit, I gave up completely. But I liked the sounds in it.
Oh I also downloaded google sketchup and have been looking at it but I cannot really work it out at this stage... there is a postwoman on the screen.... and that's about all that I can figure out. I guess you place her in front of a house on google earth?

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger michael said...

"Rob's Amazing Poem Generator" is the best that i have found.

use a webpage by a poet-blogger.

m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home